Thursday, August 20, 2009

Turbot with Grilled Mango Salsa with Shoestring Sweet Potato Fries

This meal was about sweetness and summer all rolled into one. I used Turbot for this dinner, something different, yet light and delicious. The large fillets looked extra fresh at the store so I substituted them for the snapper I was planning on using. A willingness to switch plans based upon what looks best is always useful! And, in this case, I prepared the fish the same way I would have before - with a delightful mango salsa that is light yet tasty and filling.

To add some starch to this meal I cooked up some sweet potato fries, which, of course, are actually baked and not fries at all. These thin shoestring fries might not have the crispness that comes from frying, but they were guilt-free and surprisingly similar to the fatty version. The sweetness of the fries paired well with the mango, rounding out the meal.

Turbo with Grilled Mango Salsa
This recipe was based almost entirely on Cooking Light. I used a grill pan instead of an outdoor grill, as usual. This meant my mango didn't develop the charred look that a real charcoal grill would provide, but the taste was remarkably similar. I also skipped the avocado, as you might be able to tell from the picture. I am a HUGE fan of avocado, but alas, I was sharing my meal with those who are not and skipped over it in a wish of pleasing all. Feel free to add it in or leave it out at your discretion.

I also prepared the fish on the grill pan. Again, if you have a house with a real grill handy, go for it, but remember that a good cook can always be creative and find other ways to prepare their meal!

Shoestring Sweet Potato Fries
This recipe surprised me a little upon first reading it, but it actually turns out quite well. Orange juice, you might ask? Well, I asked, too. But I trusted and tried it and was surprised to find that the fries did not taste the slightest bit orange-y. The juice also did a great job of holding the salt and pepper on the potatoes - probably it's intended purpose!

I skipped the ginger but piled on the black pepper. Feel free to do the same - spicing to your own tastes. I also am a big fan of "no sodium" salt, or rather "fake" salt. This way you can sprinkle it on for flavoring without worrying about sodium and your heart. You can buy it a normal grocery store.

Finally, I added two minutes of broiling after baking these potatoes to give a slight crisp to them. Remember, broiling is like toasting. It's also very hot for such thin fries so if you go this route keep the broiling time short.

Serve with ketchup or eat plain and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment