Monday, June 8, 2009

Pepper Crusted Salmon with Soy Drizzle with Perogies and Honey Mustard Brussel Sprouts

The beauty of salmon is that you can do so much with it. A meatier fish, it can be paired with sweet sauces, savory sauces, grilled with just a little seasoning, and served at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This pepper-crusted version is very simple to make, highlights the taste of the salmon, and definitely hits the spot. The perogies and brussel sprouts complement the dish well, mixing sweet and savory throughout the entire meal.

And yes, I did say brussel sprouts. The oft-reviled vegetable is not at all what you expect, I promise. So try to block those horrid memories of brussel sprouts as a child and give this recipe a whirl. I promise, it's worth it.

Brussel Sprouts
To make this dinner, I recommend starting with the brussel sprouts since they will take the longest to prepare. I prefer the smaller, bite-sized brussel sprouts for this but if you purchase larger ones just cut them in half so that each piece is bite-sized. Once the brussel sprouts are correctly sized put them in a baking pan (I used a glass one but anything works, including broiler pans.) You will bake them at 400 degress for about 1 hr, but need to add appropriately on the schedule below:

20 minutes - add 1/2 of sauce (see below) and stir
30 minutes - add onions and stir
40 minutes - add rest of sauce and stir
60 minutes - done

Make sure to stir the brussel sprouts each time you open the oven to get at them for sauce or onion reasons so that they do not stick or burn to the bottom of the pan.

Now for the sauce! This sounds strange, I know, but once again please have faith and give it a whirl. Somehow, it does indeed work out. The sauce is honey-based; this is very much "make to your tasting" but I believe I used about 1/2 - 3/4 a cup of honey. Add some mustard. In my case I used a bit of honey dijon, but feel free to use any of your favorite types. I put in about 1 tablespoon but use more if you like your food slightly spicier. Now mix in 1 teaspoon of rasberry jam. Stir well and your sauce is good to go! At first, I didn't make enough so after the 20 minute coating I mixed up some more. Depending how much sauce and flavor you want to add feel free to use more or less, or play with the mustard ratio.

As for the onions, simply chop up your favorite variety (:::cough::: VIDALIA :::cough:::) and add bite-sized pieces when called for in the timeline. They, too, will cook in the sauce, especially after the second addition, and come out tender and delicious.

By the time your brussel sprouts are done at the 60 minute mark they should be quite soft, easily forked, and well cooked in the sauce. Delicious! (And think how happy your parents would be that you are eating your green vegetables.)

Pepper-Crusted Salmon with Soy Drizzle
Once the brussel sprouts are well on their route to completion, happily baking in the oven, it is time to turn our attention to the rest of the meal. Let's get going on the Pepper-Crusted Salmon! As you can see from the recipe, this is quite simple. Basically, you are coating the salmon with sesame seeds, green peppercorns, and black peppercorns along with a few other sprinkles. This recipe calls for coating the salmon, then cooking it on the stove, and then baking it. Not one for baking fish, I actually used the stove the entire time. I heated up about a teaspoon of olive oil, put the salmon filet into the pan, and then sprinkled liberally with the sesame seeds, black pepper, and green pepper until the salmon was coated. When I flipped the fish I removed the skin for coating-ease and repeated on that side. The seeds and pepper stuck even as I continued to flip the fish several more times as it cooked. Cooking the salmon on the stove took about 15 minutes total but will vary widely depending on the thickness of the salmon and how well done you prefer your fish.

Don't have green peppercorns? They are available at most upscale supermarkets, but probably not your run-of-the-mill neighborhood store. At Whole Foods I found not just green peppercorns but white and pink as well. I didn't even know that pepper came in so many colors! It was like Christmas in a pepper grinder.

Once the salmon is done you can serve it with a soy drizzle on top. I skipped this step, preferring to taste the richness of the sesame seeds and pepper, and greatly enjoyed my meal without the soy sauce.

Perogies
A staple in my freezer, perogies are so easy to whip up, taste delicious, and are actually very healthy when not served fried and covered in sour cream as so many restaurants do. Although I am sure there are many brands, I believe strongly that Mrs. T's is your best bet. They are sold at most supermarkets and my favorite is the potato and cheddar cheese although feel free to sample others if you prefer. Simply add the perogies to boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes. Drain and serve while hot. I eat my perogies with apple sauce, but you can use a bit of fat free sour cream or simply enjoy them plain. These are an excellent staple to keep on hand to add to any meal last minute.

Pair this meal with a white or red wine. Although a fish, salmon is meaty enough to be able to sustain either. Let me know what you think of this dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment