Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lunch this Week: Peaches and Mixed Greens Salad

Continuing my efforts to eat fruits and vegetables at as many meals as possible, this week I am enjoying a Peaches and Mixed Greens Salad for lunch. I pair it with a cup of yogurt and some fresh cherries, producing a healthy yet filling midday meal.

This salad, full of peaches, hazelnuts, strawberries, and even a black currant liqueur should even tempt the salad-phobes out there. It hardly tastes like a salad so much as fresh fruit full of rich flavors perfectly blended together. It is also a refreshing treat in the summer since the peaches add a crispness and coolness not always found in lunches. Enjoy this outside on a sunny day or eat it quickly at your desk while you work to spur happy thoughts of being outdoors later.

The base of this recipe can be found at Cooking Light. However, I found several things to change to tailor the recipe to the tastes of my household.

To start, I used strawberries instead of raspberries. I am sure either berry works equally well. The recipe starts with making the dressing, calling for you to simmer the berries, creme de cassis, and sugar. Afterwards, you are to strain out the solids. As a major strawberry fan, I was unable to toss away the luscious berries after simmering them, so I did not strain at all. I simply placed the cooled, simmered mixture into a bowl and continued along with the recipe. Finally, I did not use any creme fraiche. I was hoping for a lighter, fruitier dressing rather than a richer, creamier one.

I combined the rest of the ingredients as instructed (shallots, champagne vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, black pepper, and salt.) I tossed the sauce well with the greens, peaches, green onions, and hazelnuts. I used a mesclun mix full of darker leaves to promote the health-factor of this dish. I served the salad fresh but then also kept it sealed in a container for use at lunches throughout the week.

The salad kept very well, with the peaches retaining their crispness despite the dressing. Just remember to re-toss the salad every day before taking your lunch portion. The peaches, strawberries, and especially the hazelnuts, tend to fall immediately to the bottom!

No comments:

Post a Comment