Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lunch this Week: Avocado-Brie Sandwiches

As soon as I start talking about my sandwich, lunch cannot come soon enough! The one this week definitely ranks highly in my list of lunchtime favorites. Of course, I toast it, and pretty much any sandwich that involves melted cheese makes me swoon. It's the little things in life.

Once again, my sundried tomato spread made for the first time a couple weeks ago inspired this creation. It was just too good! I feel the need to continue to make and use it in other, innovative ways. So this week I decided to craft an avocado and brie sandwich using the spread.

I use these new, very flat, 100 calorie whole wheat rolls that I found at the supermarket, but any type of bread or roll will work. If you are aiming to be healthy, however, make sure to check the nutrition label. You will quickly be surprised at the vast range of calories, fat, and sodium you will find in bread that may look quite similar on the outside. Think its healty because it's "multigrain" or "wheat"? Better check that label. A lot of the time it isn't. Know what you eat!

Once you identified the perfect roll or slice of bread, it's time to put this sandwich together. If you do not have any sundried tomato spread on hand you will need to prepare it, but luckily we are all experts at that by now.

Spread the spread (hah!) on one slice of bread or one half of your roll. Add sliced avocado. I have been using 1/2 an avocado per sandwich, but I really love avocado. Top with a few slices of brie cheese. Finally, put a couple slices of tomato on top. Done! Easiest lunch ever.

I wrap my lunch in foil and take it to work with a side of fresh cherries and a little apple sauce cup. (Yes, I am still 5 years old.) Lucky for me, we have quite the fancy toaster here at my office and I get to bake my sandwhich for 3 minutes at 400 degrees before eating it. This just lightly toasts the bread while melting the brie. Mmmmmmmmm! Don't have a toaster? No worry! This sandwich tastes great as is.

But of course, you'll need to find another reason to swoon without the melted cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment