Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Coconut-Crusted Tilapia with Caramelized Baby Carrots

It's amazing what happens when you rummage through your cupboard. In this case, I planned on making one of my common versions of tilapia - coated in some type of ground nut. A short person (height challenged?) I hopped onto the counter and rummaged through the top shelf where I keep nuts. Before I could find what I wanted, though, I came across a bag of shredded coconut and decided to use that instead. I couldn't be happier with that decision! This tropical-flavored creation comes out perfectly, with slightly caramelized coconut coating this light fish and just a dash of spice to cut through some of the sweetness. Needless to say, I have (purposely) made this dish several times since.

I paired this with some caramelized baby carrots, also detailed below, and some Mrs. T's Pierogies. They remain one of my all-time favorites, since childhood. The meal comes together quickly and provided me with something satisfying and healthy yet also a bit different. What more could you want?

Time: 30 min


Caramelized Baby Carrots
Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 lb baby carrots
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Garam Masala

Get your oven pre-heating to 400 degrees.

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss well to coat evenly. Spread a piece of foil on a cookie sheet. Spread the carrots out evenly on top. Make sure they are single layered with space around them so they roast and caramelize rather than steam.

Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Enjoy!

Coconut-Crusted Tilapia
Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c shreddded sweetened coconut
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp chili powder
1 lb tilapia fillets

Place a large pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and swirl to coat.

Mix together the coconut, pepper, and chili powder in a small bowl. Spread on a plate or pie pan. Pat the tilapia dry and then dredge each side of the fillets into the mixture, pressing firmly so the mixture adheres well.

Place the fillets in the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes then flip carefully and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until done. Keep a close eye - tilapia is a thin fish and cooks quickly.

Remove from heat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment