Tuesday, May 12, 2009

On Cooking in the Capitol.... part I

What is feminism today? Who is a feminist today? Merriam Webster defines feminism as “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.” Ick.

I am a twenty-five year old MIT graduate who recently spent a year and a half of her life traveling the country to elect President Barack Obama. (He won, if you missed that.) I am an ardent feminist, yet I deign to be labeled that way. I unequivocally believe in women’s rights; I believe fully in the theory that women are the political, economic, and social equal of men. No question about it. But then, that really isn’t the issue, is it?

I am a twenty-five year old MIT graduate, hell bent on women’s issues, who also loves frilly skirts, pink dresses, and endless heels. I enjoy wearing sexy outfits and generally enjoy the catcalls I get when I’m walking down the street. (Although sometimes I’m just confused… really? In my work out clothes when I’ve just come from the gym? Talk about desperation.) I enjoy dressing up, jewelry, make-up, knitting, and jewelry.

And more than anything else, I enjoy cooking. What would life be without cooking? Without food? Without lavish dinner parties, intricate gourmet meals, and creative cocktails? You will not see a mix of any sort in my kitchen. Expect lots of fruit, vegetables, and seafood. Expect everything made from scratch. Expect return visitors for dinner.

Food rules our days – whether it be the rush to make sure you at least have coffee en route to the office, counting the minutes until you enjoy a splash of sunshine as you grab your lunch on break, or debating the easiest method to dinner after a long day. But why can’t food be fun? Cooking healthy, fun, even fancy, meals does not have to be a chore. Embrace the smells and tastes, mix up a cocktail to enjoy as you splash around your kitchen, and invite others over to enjoy the fun. Not enough time? Make plenty for leftovers or shortcut by prepping in advance.

Had yet another bad date? Lonesome on a Friday night? Want the best food to curl up with in front of the TV? To use to entertain? To look fancy when it’s not? You’ve come to the right place. Welcome to the world of cooking, eating, and generally having fun while being young in DC. Explore my kitchen, experiment, and get out into the city! Follow along as I cook, live, love, and laugh and make sure that you are doing the same.

Oh, and of course, support equality while wearing stilettos. I do. And I’ll make sure you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment