Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Really Love Working Out

Really.

I know, it makes me the doctor's dream. But I really do love it. I'm not just saying that. It's not that I love just the effects either (because who doesn't love being in shape?) I love the whole thing - being tired and sore yet refreshed, being sweaty and eager for a shower, getting my heart beating faster and breathing hard... It's great.

But despite my incredible love for working out, it doesn't always override my dread of waking up. And that's why, sometimes, a reward is needed.

I wake up at 7 AM every morning, struggle out of bed, feed my cats, and hurry across the street to the gym. I work out until 8:15 (theoretically an hour if I do not snooze) and then run back to my apartmetn to get showered/dressed and out the door to work on time. And it feels great, to be honest. While I am exhausted when I struggle out of bed, by the time I am done with my workout I am energized and ready for the day. And it lasts. I am in a better mood, eat healthier (ironic, isn't it?) and am generally feeling well. The problem, of course, is that when my alarm blares at 7 AM I cannot always think that far in advance.

That's where rewards come in.

While I know that I should work out when I'm attempting to get out of bed, sometimes knowing that I will be happier later doesn't fully sink in. But picturing a prize at the end of the road is easy to do, even in a half awake state. When I first got to DC I promised myself that if I went three consecutive weeks to the gym that I would earn a massage. Every morning I would think about it, and it worked.

And it was worth it.

But I can't promise myself massages every three weeks unless I start earning significantly more money. So what are the next prizes? Help me out!

My friend, Steph, has promised that if I reach 40 consecutive days then she will come visit me this fall in DC. (And yes, that is a good thing.) So who else wants to get in on the fun? Who else wants to promise a prize? Use my beautiful comment box that only Lindsay has used so far!!! Post away!!!! (Absolutely ridiculous prizes encouraged.)

(BTW - I feel bad asking... but since I have no other forum for it... which Lindsay? In lieu of posting your last names here, Lindsay from sorority? from Birthright? Or from middle school bus rides???? Either way - thanks for posting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment