Thursday, July 27, 2023

Beet Soup - Borscht!

Is it really borsht? You can tell me, but it's an absolutely delicious beet soup that can be served warm or cold and is beloved by not just myself and my husband but our seven year old daughter. (Okay, my four and a half year old son is less interested but to be fair, he's interested in little that isn't chicken nuggets. Or ketchup. He REALLY loves ketchup.)

You'll notice that the soup pictured here is a pale red. I've made it a couple times now and it's interesting how much the flavor (and color) varies with beets chosen. The first time I made it, I used all red beets. It was, unsurprisingly, a deep rich red color and it was a very savory soup. This time I used one red beet, one golden beet, and two chioggia beets, which are the sweetest kind and an absolutely gorgeous red and white swirled pattern. This soup came out quite sweet. I enjoyed both but your preference will definitely depend on your sweet/savory preferences.

Time: 50 min

Beet Soup
Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp dried ginger
3-4 beets, peeled and chopped
1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
4-6 c. no salt vegetable broth
black pepper (as topping, to taste)
plain, low flat yogurt (as topping, to taste)

Get your olive oil heating in a large soup pot over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion. Saute for 6-8 minutes or until nicely browned. Stir often enough to keep from burning and to cook evenly.

Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another 1-2 minutes.

Add the beets, parsnip, and broth. You'll see I gave ranges... This will depend on the size of the beets and also how thick or thin you want your soup. Use four cups for a thick soup (think more winter-y) and six cups for a thinner soup. It won't be super thin, but it will be more like a tomato soup than a chowder. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 25-30 minutes.

Remove from heat and use an immersion blender (or a regular blender if you prefer, but it will be a bit messier) to blend. You can leave it chunkier or blend all the way. I blended nearly all the way.

Serve with freshly ground black pepper and plain, low fat vanilla yogurt to dollop on top.

I served it hot when I cooked it but ate it cold the next day. Both work equally well!

No comments:

Post a Comment