Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Shrimp Po'Boy and Caesar-ish Salad


Have I mentioned my unbridled love for po'boys? Yet I feel like I need to caveat that. I love them... but only certain ones. Heavy, thickly-breaded, deep-fried shrimp? No thanks. More sauce than shrimp? I'll pass. But crusty fresh bread with some flavorful sauce, luscious shrimp, and crispy vegetables? Yes, please! My all-time favorite sandwich shop, Woodrows, has an amazing po'boy and I used to indulge in it regularly. Unfortunately, a few years ago we moved away and a po'boy sized hole in my life opened up. I'm now happy to say that while it may not be a Woodrows sandwich, I've found a way to satisfy my craving in a relatively healthy manner. Best of all, it comes together quickly. So get moving and enjoy your own version at home right now!

And one more quick suggestion... I tend to pair my po'boys with a crispy "caesar-ish" salad. I've already purchased the romaine for the sandwich and it provides a perfect, light complement that will leave you satisfied but not overly stuffed.

Time: 1 hr 15 min (mostly marinating time)
Shrimp Po'Boy
Time: 1 hr 15 min (mostly marinating time)

Ingredients:
1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail removed
1 c low fat buttermilk
1 c flour
3/4 c cornmeal or masa
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp fat free mayo
1 tbsp low sodium ketchup
1.5 tbsp creole mustard or creole honey mustard
2 tsp olive oil
1 loaf ciabatta cut into 3-4 sandwiches or other bread/rolls of choice
1 tomato, sliced
1 handful romaine leaves

Put the shrimp in a bowl and pour in the buttermilk. Mix well to coat and set in the fridge for at least an hour to marinate. Meanwhile, mix together all of the ingredients from flour to black pepper. You can also now make the sauce. Mix together the ketchup, mayo, and creole mustard. Stir well and refrigerate until needed.

When the shrimp is done marinating, drain the shrimp to remove any excess buttermilk. Toss the shrimp in the flour-cornmeal mixture. This would also be a good time to get your rolls or bread toasting.

Put the olive oil in a large fry pan and swirl to coat. Heat over medium heat. Add the shrimp in an even layer and cook 2-3 minutes per side or until fully cooked.

To serve, spread the sauce on a piece of toasted bread. Top with shrimp, tomato, and romaine. Enjoy!

Casear-ish Salad
Time: 10 min

Ingredients:
1/4 c fat free mayo
1.5 tsp dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp grated Parmesan
1.5 tsp olive oil
3 romaine hearts
croutons (optional)

Mix together all ingredients from mayo to olive oil. Stir well. You can refrigerate or use immediately.

Wash the lettuce and tear into salad-sized pieces. Drizzle the sauce over the top and toss well. Top with croutons or any other garnishment of your choice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment