Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Pesto-Caprese Flatbreads

Flatbreads is a term of art these days. You see them everywhere, from chain cafes to upscale farm-to-table restaurants to ethnic eateries. I'm not sure if we're simply embracing the food arcs that permeate so many cultures in similar forms or we just want to eat pizza constantly and need an upscale name to make it more acceptable (and less "Italian" if pizza in the US can truly be called that these days.) Either way, when made well there's no denying that they're delicious. And, excitingly, with a couple tweaks they can also come together shockingly fast on a weeknight without skimping on health!

As you'll quickly learn, I'm a huge fan of Wegmans. If they aren't in your area I'm truly sorry for you - maybe move to the mid-Atlantic? I remember when I was in college and my mother, who spent time living in Syracuse before I was born, excitedly announced that a Wegmans was opening up in our little town in southern New Jersey. She told me she'd take me as soon as I came home for a weekend. I rolled my eyes, not sure why I had to tour a grocery store when I was at home, but then I did, and I realized that Wegmans truly are a destination in and of themselves. Many of the shortcuts and easy swaps I will champion will come straight from Wegmans, so if it's helpful, I'll provide links and if you live elsewhere I hope you can find something equally as convenient and reasonably nutritious!

Time: 25 minutes

Recipe and links below the jump!

Pesto-Caprese Flatbreads
Ingredients:
6 whole grain naan (Wegmans Family Pack)
2 c basil leaves
3 tbsp pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp parmesan, grated
8 oz fresh mozzarella (a good option here)
3 lbs tomato (3 big or 6 small - as fresh as possible!)
1/4 c purple basil leave (optional)

Get your oven pre-heating to 375 degrees. Grease three cookie sheet s(if it's non-stick you can't use cooking sprays on it or you'll hurt the enamel... either use oil and a brush to apply it thinly or in a pinch put foil on the cookie sheet and spray that.) Place two naan (or more if it fits) on the cookie sheets.

Combine the basil leaves (wash and tear off any large stems), pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, and parmesan in a food processor. Process until smooth but don't let it get too liquid.

Spread the pesto evenly across the six flatbreads. Slice up the tomato and distribute that evenly as well. Finally, thinly slice the mozzarella and spread it out, margherita style, across the naan.

Bake for 10 minutes or until the naan is crisp at the edges and the cheese is melted. Tear the purple basil leaves and distribute evenly across the flatbreads, cut in quarters, and enjoy!

Note: While I chose to make caprese style flatbreads, this can easily be modified. This is a great recipe for kids since they can decorate their own pizza and customize it at will.



No comments:

Post a Comment