Sunday, May 8, 2011

Asparagus with Raisins and Pine Nuts

I have to admit, asparagus is new to my list of veggies. While I'll dine on pretty much anything that's not meat, asparagus was one of the few vegetables I disliked for most of my life. So whether my tastes have changed or I've simply finally moved beyond the horror I felt as a young child when I confused the words asparagus and esophagus (yes, my parents are doctors, esophagus was in my vocabulary at a very young age) asparagus is now enjoyable to me. Since it is an excellent source of iron, vitamin C, and protein, this newly found like is even better.

Asparagus is in season in the spring, right now, so buy it up and make it in a variety of ways. It's good simply grilled with a touch of olive oil and some always-delicious freshly-ground black pepper, but in this recipe I sauteed it with some onions and raisins. The flavors melded together very well and I loved the slight sweet flavor that the raisins provided without making the dish overly sweet. I served the asparagus with some cous cous and fresh swordfish grilled with white wine and garlic.

Difficulty: easy
Time: 15 minutes
Cost: $27.30 (for entire meal)



Raisin and Pine Nut Asparagus
Ingredients:
1 bunch asparagus (about 2 c), with stems trimmed
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 c red onion, sliced
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 .5 tbsp orange juice
3 tbsp golden raisins
2 tsp honey
1/4 tsp ground orange rind
3/4 tsp black pepper

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the asparagus and boil for 3 just 3 minutes, then drain. You want it crisp-tender, so not all floppy.

While you are doing that, heat a pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, swirling to coat. When the oil has heated, add the red onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the pine nuts. Saute another 2 minutes. Then, add the orange juice, raisins, and honey. Saute for 3 minutes. Finally, add the orange juice and black pepper. After another 30 seconds to 1 minute, remove from the heat.

Stir the asparagus into the pan or stir the toppings and asparagus together on a plate before serving.

Servings: 3
Serving Size: 6 asparagus
Nutrition: calories 141; carbs 17g; fat 7g; protein 2g; sodium 9 mg; iron 6 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment