Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lemon-Pecan Brussels Sprouts

That's right - 2 out of the last 3 posts have missed a picture. I guess I'm slipping! But I promise to be better. The next batch of posts all have bright, exciting pictures ready to grace your monitor.

Brussels Sprouts continue to grow and grow on me. They never really appeared in my house growing up, but I've come to really enjoy these bite-sized veggies. It's also extremely low in fat and cholesterol while delivering a whopping package of fiber, iron, vitamin C, vitamin A,and potassium, among many other vitamins. Clearly, this is a food that not only tastes delicious, but rewards you for your love!

I prepared the brussels sprouts on the stove with lemon and pecans, a new version for me, and I really enjoyed it. Give the recipe below a try and let me know what you think in the comments. What do you think of brussels sprouts? This veggie was served along with cajun catfish (one of my personal favorites) and perogies (always a good addition.)

Difficulty: easy
Time: 20 min
Cost: $15.38 (for the full meal)



Lemon-Pecan Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1 c onion, diced
1/2 tsp Thyme (dried)
3 c brussels sprouts, halved
1/4 c pecans, chopped
1 tsp lemon rind, grated
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp black pepper

Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, swirling to coat. When the oil has heated, add the onion and Thyme. Saute for 4-5 minutes. Then, add the brussels sprouts. Stir for 30 seconds and then add 1/3 c of water. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Let the brussels sprouts simmer for 6-8 minutes or until just tender. Most of the water should be gone at this point.

Add the pecans, lemon rind, lemon juice, and black pepper. Stir until evenly combined and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment