Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mustard and Spice Salmon

As spring approaches I figure it's time to get creative, while staying simple, so that I have more opportunity to enjoy the beautiful weather outside. This recipe fulfills those goals. I made my own spice mixture that gave the salmon a bit of pop but I stayed away from making it actually spicy. Then a mix of honey and mustard rounded out the flavors and added a bit of texture. Simple yet tasty! Perfect for spring.

I wanted to stick with flavorful but simple for the rest of the meal as well, so I boiled up some cous cous with some fresh herbs tossed into the finished product for added flavor. Then I roasted some brussels sprouts with honey and mustard, giving them complementary flavors to the salmon but staying away from adding extra spice that would confuse overloaded taste buds. All in all, it worked out exactly as planned and would be an excellent meal out on a patio as the sun sets with a nice glass of wine.

Difficulty: easy
Time: 15 min
Cost: $16.23



Mustard and Spice Salmon
Ingredients:
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 lb Salmon fillet

This recipe can be done in minutes! Get your broiler pre-heating on high.

Then, just mix together the mustard, honey, turmeric, red pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl until the spice and mustard mixture is evenly blended. Spread it evenly over the salmon fillet, just on the non-skin side.

Put the salmon on a greased broiler pan and broil for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked to your desired degree. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Julia! I did 1/4 tsp cayenne 'cause I like the spice, and I made a light stir fry on the side (broccoli, onion, fresh crushed garlic) over rice.

    Great tasting, I'll probably try it on the grill sometime this summer!

    Cheers,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete