Monday, December 6, 2010

Rockfish with Sauteed Leeks

First, can I have a little rant? There is an inherent problem with coffee. In the morning, I want it. So I make it- or at least I try. Yet since I’m not yet awake or fully functioning, there are some mornings where I manage to pour the water into the filter with the coffee grinds, forget about the water, forget about the grinds, or somehow manage to screw up my coffee. Then when I saunter out of my room, clothed and ready to grab my coffee and hop on the metro to work, it’s unavailable. I was too tired to make it and now I won’t have it to wake up. If that’s not a vicious cycle, then I’m not sure what is!

Whew.

Okay, rant aside (thanks for listening!) so now it’s time to jump into the recipe of the day. This simple recipe is positively tantalizing. While a pain to cut and clean (since they’re just so dirty), leeks are worth the effort. They’re light cousins to onions, providing a lot of flavor but more smoothness than bite. Here, sautéed to bring out a touch of natural sweetness, they practically melt in your mouth. Who can resist? And then, to round out the meal, I served them with some roasted fingerling potatoes and Brussels sprouts.

Difficulty: easy
Time: 25 min
Cost: $25.48



Rockfish with Sauteed Leeks
Ingredients:
2 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
3 c leeks, thinly sliced
½ c golden raisins
1.5 tbsp tarragon vinegar
½ tsp black pepper
1 lb Rockfish

Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, swirling to coat, and let that heat as well. Toss in the leeks and sauté for 7-8 minutes, stirring just often enough to keep from burning. Add 1/3 cup of water to the pan and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, turn down the heat and simmer for another 6 minutes or until the leeks are quite tender.

Remove from the heat and add in the raisins, vinegar, and black pepper. Mix well and keep warm to the side.

Heat another pan (or the same one, emptied) over medium high heat. Add the remaining 1 tsp of olive oil and swirl to coat. Let the oil heat, and then add the rockfish. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until done. Pour the leeks over the fish before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment