Monday, November 30, 2009

Bass Crusted with Moroccan Spices

In a throwback to my heritage, I decided to try my hand at some Moroccan cooking tonight. This time it was fish crusted with some savory Moroccan spices. They're easy to find at your local store if you do not already have them, but hit the spot perfectly when combined. They give the fish an exotic taste that's easy to prepare.

I served this meal with two dishes I've made before: cajun fingerling potatoes and herb-stuffed tomatoes. Both sides have a slight kick (the garlic in the tomatoes can be quite spicy at times) and complemented the fish perfectly. Feel free to pair other sides with this entree if you choose or copy my example. With this fish you cannot go wrong!

Bass Crusted with Moroccan Spices

This one, of course, comes from Cooking Light. In fact, they have done extensive sections on Moroccan cooking in the past. If you enjoy this fish you may want to explore their magazine (in print or online) for other recipes that might please your palette.

You'll find that you need to marinate the fish, spice it, and cook it on the stove. I followed along but skipped the salt in the spice mixture that got rubbed on the bass. I also did not serve it with lemon wedges or cilantro although I am sure that both would work well with the fish.

This recipe also calls for Sea Bass. I'm actually a huge fan of the thick, buttery fish but since it wasn't available at Whole Foods when I was making this recipe I used Striped Bass instead. Keep in mind that while their names are similar, these are very different fishes. The sea version is thick and naturally oily, practically melting in your mouth, but can also contain bones. The striped version is firmer and not as thick without the buttery taste. I enjoy both but if you are inclined towards one you should find that one before mixing up your marinade. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment