Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cornflake-Crusted Turbot with Cilantro Aioli and Creamy Pumpkin Soup

Mmmmmm... some pictures just make me start craving the fish all over again! And this is one of them. I just can't help it. Delicious Turbot that practically melts in your mouth surrounded by the crispness of corn flakes and served with a delicate aioli. Creamy, warm pumpkin soup that makes the autumn air feel that much fresher. And while not listed above since I've made it before, I rounded out this meal with a deliciously springy zucchini bread that mixes together the delight of fresh bread with some added (yet tasty) nutrition. Have I convinced you to try this meal yet?

As we move into cooler weather you'll find me experimenting a lot more with warm soups and winter vegetables. I am a big fan of squashes - acorn, butternut, spaghetti - and also of pumpkin, zucchini, etc. Jump in and experiment with these rich, naturally delicious vegetables and get creative with your meals. Nothing is better when there is a chill outside than curling up on the couch with some delicious homemade food.

Cornflake-Crusted Turbot with Cilantro Aioli
If you haven't experienced the wonders of crusting foods with cornflakes yet, you are in for a treat. This kid-friendly cereal turns out to be startlingly gourmet when paired with a delicate fish and a glass of wine. The crunch adds a unique texture that goes especially well with creamier fishes.

I worked off of this recipe from Cooking Light. You'll notice the title is slightly changed. If you are a follower of my blog you know by now that I am NOT a big fan of spicy - and here is where that rings true once again. I skipped the serrano chile in the aioli, but feel free to add it back in and let me know below how it worked.

You'll also note that this recipe calls for Halibut and I used Turbot. These are both creamy, white fishes that switch out fairly well. My only real reason for choosing the Turbot here is that Halibut is now out of season and widely available. Turbot, which is in season, is fresher and easier to find. Use whichever you can find and that looks best!

Finally, beware when cooking the fish. I cut my one large piece of turbot into three smaller ones to allow for easy coating and flipping. This worked out quite well and I recommend trying this yourself. However, the cornflakes will burn if cooked for too long. Keep in mind that the fish will cook fairly quickly and while you want to ensure that it is fully cooked, you also don't want to end up with black cornflakes. Just cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Use a knife to check to see if they are done. You can cook longer if needed but that should be enough!

Creamy Pumpkin Soup
You truly know it is fall when it is time to start pulling out the pumpkin! Pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie... they will all start coming your way in the next few weeks. This might also be attributed to the fact that I have a pumpkin-enthusiast gobbling down everything pumpkin that I prepare for him...!

Once again, Cooking Light has provided the recipe for this occasion. Make sure that when you buy your pumpkin you select the ones for cooking. While technically you could use any of them those ones will produce the best results. They are generally denoted as pumpkins for pumpkin pie but they work well for any cooking. They are also smaller - you'll only need about 3 cups for a generous serving of soup. Just make sure you have a sharp knife when you start- pumpkins are NOT the easiest vegetable to cut.

While I did peel the pumpkin, I neglected to do so with the apple. Apple skin is light and full of nutrition. And I just like it and get lazy. So why bother? I doubt using it v. not using it will truly make a difference. I also, as usual, skipped the salt. There's enough in your diet and this soup doesn't benefit from its flavor, so why bother?

You can keep the soup simmering very quietly at the end if you need to in order to time your meal. Pair with zucchini bread in addition to the fish recipe for an absolutely delicious meal. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment